What We Do
The mission of the Independent Adoption Center (IAC) is to provide open adoption placement and counseling to birth and adoptive families to ensure that every child grows up feeling loved and supported.
- IAC informs, supports, and guides birth and adoptive parents through the process of creating healthy new families through open adoption.
- IAC’s professional staff provides support and counseling for birthparents, works closely with adoptive parents throughout the adoption process, and provides ongoing post-placement support and consultation for birthparents and adoptive families.
- IAC is focused on transforming lives through open adoption by serving the best interests of birthparents, children, and adoptive families.
- IAC is one of the only adoption agencies in the country that has never had any exclusionary policies for adoptive parents, including age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, religion, ethnic background, color, or race.
What We Offer
- Professional counseling and support groups for birthparents during the open adoption process and after placement—including grief and loss counseling.
- Professional counseling and support groups for adoptive parents during all phases of the process.
- Adoptive parent home studies and updates.
- Birthparents relinquishments.
- Post-placement supervision.
- Interstate compact work for out-of-state birthparents.
- Finalization reports six months after birth.
- National, regional and local community outreach and advertising, directed towards birthparents, social service professionals and other referral sources.
Our work at Independent Adoption Center is guided by a strategic plan. This plan is the result of comprehensive strategy planning sessions we conduct approximately every five years. In 2015 we held our most recent strategy planning sessions to create the vision for our work through 2020. You can view the results here: IAC's Strategic Overview for 2015 to 2020.
Our previous plan covered years 2010 through 2014. You can download the 2010-2014 plan here.
Our strategic plans are built upon the existing strengths of the Center and rely upon our unique focus on ensuring that each adoptive placement is in the best interest of the child, as well as the birth and adoptive families. These plans are developed with the input of the entire adoption community including staff, board members, alumni and current clients - both adoptive parents, and birth parents, and adoption professionals. As a result they are also a public document so that the entire community can know where the IAC is going and how we intend to get there.
The plans are, however, living documents that will be reviewed annually by the Board of Directors to both assess the progress we have made toward our goals and also to make adjustments as needed.
The Independent Adoption Center publishes an annual report detailing our work of the previous year. You can view the latest annual report below.