IAC Adoption Fees
If You Live in CA, CT, FL, GA, NC, NY, TX
IAC calculates fees on a sliding scale based on the ability of the prospective adoptive family to pay. IAC calculates the fees based on Gross Income rather than Adjusted Gross Income. IAC's fees are one-time fees and cover all IAC activities and services until you adopt your child. Even then, you continue to have access to a variety of post-placement services as an IAC adoptive family.
Below are the fees a family would pay to IAC for an adoption. Families pay these fees once until there is permanent placement in your home, even if this requires multiple matches.
|Independent Adoption Center - All Inclusive Fees (Effective 1/1/12) †|
|INCOME LEVEL||INITIAL JOIN FEE*||BIRTHPARENT
|DUE AT BIRTH
|Under $59,999||$10,140**||$1,560||$1,560||$13,260 ($12,750†)|
|$60,000 - $99,999||$11,140**||$2,080||$2,080||$15,600 ($15,000†)|
|$100,000 - $229,999||$14,040**||$2,600||$2,600||$19,240 ($18,500†)|
|$230,000 - $299,999||$16,640**||$3,120||$3,120||$22,880 ($22,000†)|
|$300,000 and above||$19,240**||$3,640||$3,640||$26,520 ($25,500†)|
†4% discount for cash/direct withdrawal/check payments
* Join fees can be paid in installments, see table below
** Does not include $250 application fee
|Initial Join Fees - Six Month Payment Plan|
|INCOME LEVEL||PAYMENT AT CONTRACT||5 MONTHLY
|$60,000 - $99,999||$2,500*||$1,700||$1,788|
|$100,000 - $229,999||$2,500*||$2,200||$2,308|
|$230,000 - $299,999||$3,000*||$2,600||$2,728|
|$300,000 and above||$3,000*||$3,100||$3,248|
† 4% discount for cash/direct withdrawal/check payments
* The $950 Adoption Workshop deposit will be deducted from payment at contract
- If eligible, a Federal Adoption Tax Credit of up to $12,970 per child is available.
- If eligible, approximately 20% of all fees are tax deductible as allowed by law.
- Please check with your tax advisor
There are other possible expenses associated with adoption. At IAC, experience has taught us that the more you understand about the types and possible range of fees and expenses you might incur, the better equipped you will be to develop a realistic budget and appropriate plans. The following chart estimates possible expenses you may incur during your adoption.
|Possible Expenses||Typical Ranges||Same IAC State†||Different
|Background Checks & Networking Expenses1||$300 - $3,000||$600||$600||$600|
|Medical Expenses2||$0 - $10,000||$0||$0||$0|
|Pregnancy-Related Expenses3||$0 - $10,000||$3,000||$3,000||$3,000|
|Travel||$350 - $5,000||$750||$3,000||$3,000|
|Out-of-State Agency Fees (ICPC)4||$3,000 - $10,000||N/A||$0||$5,000|
|Finalization Expenses5||$650 - $5,000||$2,000||$2,000||$2,000|
|Additional Attorney Fees6||$0 - $2,000||$750||$750||$1,500|
1 These expenses typically include fingerprinting, designing and printing of the Adoption Letter, designing a website, a toll free telephone number, copying, and advertising in places other than IAC’s websites.
2 Typically covered by MediCal, Medicaid, or birthmother’s insurance. It is rare that there is no health coverage. However, if there is no insurance and there are complications, expenses could range from $5,000 - $10,000+ (IAC will inform you in advance if there is no coverage).
3 These expenses directly relate to the length of the match and the birthmother’s financial status; they can include rent, food, maternity clothes, utilities, etc.
4 If birthparents reside in California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, New York, North Carolina, or Texas the expense is absorbed in IAC’s fees. If birthparents reside in other states, adoptive parents are eligible to be reimbursed up to $2,000 for out-of-state agency fees.
5 Finalizations in California are significantly less expensive and cost an average of $750. New York finalizations are significantly more expensive and cost on average about $2,000.
6 These potential legal fees include such issues as terminating all potential birthfathers’ parental rights.
The IAC provides comprehensive services to adoptive families. IAC fees include all of the following services for families in California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, New York, North Carolina, and Texas.
- Completed home study
- Annual home study updates (note: additional fee ONLY if a home visit is required, for example, due to a move or state requirement)
- Assigned social worker who provides support and assistance throughout the adoption process
- Access to IAC’s Online Letter Design Center
- Parent Profile listing on both of IAC’s websites; iheartadoption.org and adoptionhelp.org
- Complete client binder packed with information about the adoption process
- Online Support Forums & Monthly In-Person Support Groups
- Professionally placed advertising, outreach and publicity online, television, and print
- Outreach to health care professionals, crisis pregnancy centers, Planned Parenthood clinics, teen-parenting programs, colleges, universities and high schools
Matching & Placement Services:
- Counseling and support for birth and adoptive families
- Match meetings to discuss hospital plan and post-placement open adoption agreement
- Birthparent intake counselors are available 365 days a year from 7 am to 10 pm.
- Relinquishments of birthparent’s rights in California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, New York, North Carolina, and Texas
- ICPC (interstate adoption paperwork) in California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, New York, North Carolina, and Texas
- Lifetime support for birthparents, including access to our online birthmother social support network
- Up to two counseling sessions a year for adoptive families until your child is 18 years old
- Lifetime access to e-groups for adoptive families