I was arrested three years ago for disturbing the peace. How do I find out if I can adopt?

The answer to this question depends on the circumstances of the arrest. I would suggest that you call a licensed adoption agency in the state where you live.

You need to tell them everything that happened. I cannot state strongly enough how important it is to be completely honest even if the information is embarrassing. Even if you do not tell them the entire story up front they will eventually find out. Most agencies will not work with families who have lied to them, so it is important to fully disclose this information. They can advise you about next steps. Each state has a different procedure so you need to be sure to talk to an agency that is licensed in the state where you live.

The Independent Adoption Center is a licensed agency in California, Texas, Indiana, Georgia, Indiana, North Carolina, New York, and Connecticut. We are working on licensing in additional states, so please contact us to find out more information.