I want to adopt my grandchild. She has been with us from the day she was born, she is now 8 years old. My daughter has no problem with it and the father denies that she is his and wants nothing to do with it (he is the father). We want nothing from them, no child support, no help with anything. We just want to make her our child, after all she is our daughter and we are her parents. We do not keep her from her birth mom or sister, we only live a couple miles away and we visit them all the time and she knows everything. We are very honest with her when she started asking questions. What needs to be done to make her our daughter so we are a family?

Yes, you can adopt your granddaughter if you daughter is willing to have her parental rights terminated. In addition, you will have to terminate the birthfather's rights as well, even if he is denying paternity. The laws vary from state to state, but most states will require you to notify him. If he takes no action his rights can be terminated in court. In most states even if he was to claim his parental rights, it is unlikely that this would stand up in court. This is NOT legal advice. You need to consult an adoption attorney.

Unfortunately, this process will be expensive. You will need to hire an adoption attorney or adoption agency to terminate your daughter's parental rights. In addition, an attorney will need to terminate the birthfather's rights in courts. Finally, you will need to pay an adoption agency to complete a home study for you that determines if your home is a safe emotional and physical space for a child, which includes a criminal background check.