I'm 19 in the Army staying in TN and my sister is 21 staying in AL. Both she and the baby's father have agreed to sign their rights over to me. Can I adopt this child?

Yes, it is possible to adopt your niece or nephew if both your sister and the baby's father agree to terminate their parental rights and sign designated relinquishments naming you as the parent.

You will need to have a home study done by a social worker at an adoption agency. The home study determines if your home is a safe emotional and physical space for a child, and includes a criminal background check. You will also need to hire an adoption agency or adoption attorney in both TN and AL as you will need both states to approve the adoption. In addition the agency or attorney in AL will need to terminate the parental rights of your sister and the baby's father.

Unfortunately, this can be an expensive process as you must use an adoption agency or an adoption attorney. There is no way to do an adoption on your own without an agency or an attorney. The IAC is not licensed in either state so we could not work on this adoption, but if we were licensed in AL and TN the cost for a home study, termination of parental rights, and the ICPC paperwork (interstate adoption paperwork) would cost $8,000.