Do you know what I would have to go through to adopt my friends baby in the city and state of Chicago, IL if we are not going through an agency to do the adopting? If she signs over her rights to me do I still have to adopt the baby to be able to put the baby on my insurance?

Unfortunately, you cannot do an adoption in the United States without using an agency or an adoption attorney. You must have a home study including a criminal background check before a baby may be placed in your home.

A birthmother cannot sign over her rights to you directly. This must be done through an agency or an adoption attorney.