I currently have custody of my niece and nephew. After I adopt them will we get any financial assistance for them? They are 7 and 4 and both parents are on drugs and we have had a hard time getting help for them.

It is difficult to answer this question without knowing the state you live in as well as if the children are being adopted in a private adoption or through the foster care system. In addition, there are a list of criteria that must be met by the children to qualify for the federal Adoption Assistance Program (AAP).

Although this is a federal program matching funds are supplied by both the state and county where you live so they may have some additional qualifications. In general, children who are considered "difficult to place" are eligible for the AAP. This includes children who are minority and/or have physical and developmental challenges, which includes the vague "adverse parental history." Some (but not all) states require children to be in the foster care system before placement to qualify for AAP.

The most important thing to note is that in many states you must apply for and get AAP before you finalize the adoption. My advice is that you should apply for AAP (ask your adoption social worker for the forms to apply). The only harm that come from applying is that they may deny your application.