How do I adopt a baby from another state?

In order to adopt a baby who was born in another state you will need to get ICPC (Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children) clearance from the state where the baby was born and the state where you live. This process is different in each state and so you would need to work with an agency or attorney in each state that was familiar with the process. Adoptive parents cannot take a baby from the state where they were born without the ICPC clearances.