How do we go about the independent adoption process with a birthmother from another state? She has found us and wants to proceed in placing her child with us.

In order to adopt a child from another state you must have an agency or attorney facilitate the paperwork for an ICPC (Interstate Compact for the Protection of children) in both states. If the agency or attorney is not licensed in both states you will need to hire someone to do the paperwork in each state.

You need to call an agency in the state where you live and ask if they can help you with an interstate adoption. If you live in California, Texas, Indiana, Georgia, Connecticut, New York, or North Carolina you can call IAC at 800-877-6736.