In 1987 My son and his girlfriend put their child for adoption. The files were supposed to be open when he turned 21. Since then the adoption agency has closed . I would love to find him as his grandmother. Where do I start?

When an adoption agency closes, the files are suppose to be turned over to the Department of Social Services in the state where they operated (some states call this the Department of Youth and Families Services). I would contact the Department in your state to find out where these files now reside.

If the adoption happened in California, you can find this information at: