Is it possible to adopt a child from a mother who doesn't want her child? For an example, this mother is currently pregnant and doesn't want her child because she has no way to provide for or support her child. Yet, she wants my husband and I to have the child. We are very excited, however I learned recently it's not possible as it might be fraud somewhat. So, my question would be is it possible to take this child; if so, why must an agency or govt be involved?

Yes, it is possible to adopt a child from a mother who wants to voluntarily relinquish her parental rights. But this can not be done unless the birthfather also agreed to the adoption, and the termination of his parental rights is completed.

To adopt a child in the United States, you must have an adoption agency, an adoption attorney, or the State Dept. of Social Services (DSS) involved. Adoptions require a home study as well as post-placement supervision and then finalization in court. This is to ensure the safety and well-being of children placed in adoptive homes.